Let our voices be heard….come to the Gerritsen Beach Cares Relief Center (parkside across from 2658 Gerritsen Avenue & Devon Ave) at 12 noon Sunday, January 6th to let everyone know the Relief Center is still needed! NY City, NY State & OEM are trying to shut down our Relief Center asap even though there is still much recovery work to be done.
Gerritsen Beach Cares has been providing relief, rebuilding, and recovery support to the community since November 4th, operating with volunteers – most of whom were also affected by Sandy – who help us help our neighbors.
Despite all our resources and best efforts to date, we were only able to obtain temporary shelter, namely unheated tents, to house our Sandy Relief Center. Now the National Guard, the City and others are looking to shut it all down even though OUR RECOVERY IS NOT OVER. Residents will still need support for many more months to recover to pre-Sandy conditions.
Please come on Sunday to tell the government that we DO NOT ACCEPT them taking back ANY resources from Gerritsen Beach Cares operations until we find a suitable, long-term indoor location.
Here’s a brief recap of how Gerritsen Beach Cares has helped since Sandy:
- Hot Food for over 1,000 people each week
- Partnerships with Steven Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation for temporary homes in CT for displaced residents, gift cards to yellow tagged homes and the elderly
- Partnership with the Can-Do organization resulting in a North Face winter gear donation and distribution
- Demolition work on approximately 400 houses with volunteer organizations
- 3,000+ space heaters
- 3,000 carbon monoxide detectors
- 1,000 sleeping bags
- 200 queen sized air mattresses
- 50 air purifiers
- Thousands of cots
- Lowes, Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond gift cards
- Thousands of holiday toys
- 3 days of mobile vet services (300 animals seen)
- Promoting the Rapid Repair program, guiding residents through the process and sending out emails about Rapid Repair problems
- Partnership with Dr. Leo Flanagan, PhD and Heart 911 for Mental Health counseling and workshops
- Mobile delivery and announcement system
- Dissemination of essential information to the community on our site through Facebook and the GB Cares website
- Working with – and supporting – other nearby affected communities like Coney Island, the Rockaways, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Canarsie and Sheepshead Bay
Thank you for your continued support!